Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Is this the first student post?

An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge crosses the line between truth and lies in literature because of its portrayal of time throughout the story.

So since I was talking down about this blog I decided I’d make an effort at using it and starting off a little bit ahead. I’m going to try to not give too much of the story away since I’m posting this kind of early, and I’m sure everyone still wants to read it. I wanted to explain that but I decided to put my thesis first since that’s what the professor asked. But back to the point….

I thoroughly enjoyed the story, the third person-narrative was perfect for the situation. Bierce would use words such as evidently while describing the scenario which made me feel like if I had been there, I obviously would have known all of this. Yet this novel crosses into a lie in the first part of the story. Bierce defies time by showing that the farmer had imagined his entire escape seconds before he died.

Since the professor wanted to teach a class about manipluation in literature, this story makes a great start to the year. I don’t want to say too much more past that. Enjoy reading it for yourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment