Thursday, February 24, 2011

Voodoo Queen

I found the lecture to be enlightening because I really didn't know much about Voodoo previous to the lecture. What particularly grabbed by interest was the Voodoo Queens. New Orleans had Voodoo Queens whereas everywhere else had Kings. He mentioned Marie Laveau, and the people who are from here or this area understood him and recognized the name. As a carpetbagger, the name was unfamiliar, until the other day that is. My family came to town and my mom dragged us to see a cemetery. Looking at the tombs, we noticed one that was especially decorated. Most of the decorates seemed to have been placed there recently, others a while ago. It was covered in graffiti, especially 'XXX'. Apparently the three x's are marked by vistors of her grave with the hopes she will grant them a wish. My family was impressed when I was able to recount what I had learned at the lecture about the Voodoo Queen.

No comments:

Post a Comment