Thursday, September 1, 2011

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Originally I planned to write my blog post about something different entirely, but after the discussion in class today I changed my mind. When I read An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge I did not think that either side of the story was a lie. I believed that the narrator’s straightforward view of the hanging and the vision in Farquhar’s head both happened as described. Neither perspective was a lie; nor do I actually think Bierce lied to the readers, he just mislead us to make the story more interesting.

As I mentioned in class today, the narrator told us the truth in the last sentence of the first section; Farquhar’s idea of escaping death and being reunited with his family was never materialized. However the first time I read this line, I just kind of passed it by. I wanted to know Farquhar’s backstory and since the second section flashed backward in time, it didn’t seem too fishy that the story could continue after Farquhar had (almost certainly) died. By the time I finished reading the second section I was distracted by how Farquhar was deceived by the Union soldier and I had almost completely forgotten about the line in the first section where the story had essentially ended.

But really, the story did not end immediately after the soldier stepped aside and let Farquhar fall to his death. Farquhar probably did not die instantaneously from the hanging; it took a few seconds for him to actually die. In those few seconds it is my opinion that the story the narrator conveys in section three actually did happen in Farquhar’s mind. These few seconds felt like a day to Farquhar, and I think that neither Farquhar nor the narrator lied to us in section three. The events in this section happened…in Farquhar’s mind. His thrilling escape and journey home were true, to Farquhar. Time slowed down for him and his last few seconds of life were actually a day, to him. So in my view, the narrator was not lying when he/she conveyed the events Farquhar believed were happening, the narrator was just conveying the truths as Farquhar saw them.

I know in class today we discussed whether we thought the narrator just made up Farquhar’s thoughts, whether the narrator was actually omniscient or not. But that would just mean that there is a story inside of a story and if we questioned if every story we read was real or not, reading fiction would not be interesting. If I asked myself if all of the events in Harry Potter were really just made up by a sad little orphan living in a little cupboard under the stairs, what fun would that be? We know that fiction is not real to begin with, so if we question every character, every line of text, we might lose the experience of being drawn into a story. Sure Bierce could have been trying to trick us by having the narrator fabricate a story, but why does that make the story any less significant? It is still just a story created by someone, whether it is the narrator or Bierce himself. It is still technically not “true” any way you look at it. We could say that Farquhar never existed, that no one actually died at Owl Creek Bridge, that maybe the narrator fabricated the entire story. But I just don’t see the point; I don’t think it really matters whether Farquhar or the narrator actually created the events in section three. We have to believe something or there is no point in reading a work of fiction.

As Dumbledore said to Harry in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, “Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” What Farquhar did in his last few moments of life may have been inside his head or maybe just inside the mind of the narrator, but that doesn’t make it any less real.

6 comments:

  1. I just blogged a film adaptation of the story, and I think it matches your interpretation pretty well. I agree with all of the points you addressed (especially the Harry Potter bit). In fact, my first reading of the story was very similar to yours.

    My view on the whole narrator-character-audience-author conflict is that regardless of how a story can seem organic, stories are products. Stories are made and made to be told. Whether the filters are cast and/or manipulated by the narrator(s) or character(s), the content, the select words and ideas, is still the author's. The author has the power to contort his/her plot as s/he sees fit can effectively influence the reader's experience. What the author can't do, however, is have her/his work experienced exactly as s/he intended. The audience can come pretty close to realizing the author's intentions, but the only person who could intimately know the original form and feel of a story is its creator.

    Who knows what Bierce really had in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your use of the Harry Potter quote. I think it really embodies what you're trying to say here. Just because you allow yourself to believe a story that could potentially be false, should not make it any less real for you. The point is you will never be able to climb inside Ambrose Bierce's brain and find the answers to all your questions. So it is far more productive to find an interpretation that you feel passionate about and allow your imagination to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that if some part of a story is up to interpretation, then we should go with the interpretation that satisfies us the most.

    After I read the short story I was thinking about why it made such a difference that half the story was false. I mean, you are right. The entire story is false, technically. After all, it is fiction. Then I realized that it matters because, as readers, we became emotionally invested in Farquhar's plight.

    It is the mark of a good story if the reader gets that involved with the characters. Take Harry Potter. I have friends who truly believe there was some mistake and that they should be at Hogwarts right now. I myself actually cried when certain characters died. We can find discrepancies in the books, but we do not question every little detail that does not add up. There is no point if it just makes us miserable.

    If believing that Farquhar really did experience that dream state makes you happy, then since it cannot be proved otherwise I say go for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought about the Harry Potter quote when we were in class the other day and I'm glad someone else had the same train of thought as me. I agree with the fact that it can be real even if it was inside Farquhar's head. The entire point of a story is to become captivated and lose sight of everything going on in the "real world" because we are usually looking for an escape. This story allows our imagination to grow and we are involved. If we were not involved we would not have felt sympathetic about Farquhar's death or eagerly read the next line as he tried to escape. He escaped in him mind which is just as real as when we do so.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just wanted to touch on one of the arguments in the class discussion the other day and what you mentioned in your blog about the where the lie lay. I know that some believe that the lie was within Farquhar and others believed it was a part of the manipulation of the narrator. I agree with your assessment that the lie was through Farquhar and not through the narrator (as Professor Schwartz suggested). Regardless I see now that discovering who was lying is completely irrelevant. The point of the story was to show the reader how easily they were fooled and sucked in by an emotional attachment to a character and his story. Whether the reader feels he/she was lied to by Farquhar or the narrator doesn't matter, rather the fact that they are lied to is the main point.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you relate this to Harry Potter and I somewhat with the idea that the entire escape scene wasn't made up but real. However, I think because the story was told in third person rather than first, we as readers will never know if that scene was reall. At least in Harry Potter, we saw for ourselves Harry having that dream from his point of view. Thus, it is definitely easier to believe that his dream was true. We can't really assume the same thing for Farquhar though just for the fact that he isn't retelling his story personally.

    ReplyDelete