Sunday, December 11, 2011

Last Saturday Nite

It all started with this idea, “What if right now, at this very moment, a nuclear bomb went off and brought about the apocalypse? What would we do if we were trapped in this small room in KJ with no access to the outside world? How would we survive?”

It was Saturday night and after a fun filled day of procrastinating and doing work (mostly the former) a group of four of us decided to go on a walk through KJ to clear our minds. We stumbled upon a friend in a small study room that seemed secluded from the rest of the world. We went in to talk to her and before we knew it, we suddenly felt isolated from everyone outside of that little room. We all felt as if the world could end at that very moment and that we would be left untouched, left to deal with a post-apocalyptic wasteland.

Needless to say, the conversation quickly went to that concept. My friend, Lily, asked us what we would do if we were trapped in that room. How would we get help? How would we survive without food or water? We decided to search the room to see if we would be able to get by on the supplies currently there. Someone found peanut butter crackers in a cubby and someone else had a few bananas with them. We then began discussing how we would divide up the food to help us survive as long as possible. Unfortunately, I am allergic to peanut butter. Therefore, Lily and Sabrina decided that in the event that we ran out of food they should consume me because I would be the easiest to kill (and I also would have pretty much nothing to eat so I would die the fastest anyway).

But then I presented to them my skills that would be potentially useful in the event of nuclear fallout. My many hours of playing the game Fallout 3 could finally come in handy. It was then unanimously decided that I could be extremely helpful if we were able to escape the confines of the room and therefore they decided that they probably shouldn’t kill me.

This whole time we were totally engrossed in the conversation and the idea that the apocalypse could happen at any moment seemed eerily real. It may sound silly just by reading my abbreviated account of the events, but we really felt that what we were talking about could have been the “truth.” As we learned in this class, reality is perception. Last night, our reality was transformed by our perception of the possibility of the apocalypse actually occurring.

In short, thanks to this class, Sabrina and I are prepared for impending doom.

2 comments:

  1. As humorous as this sounds, here's a serious recollection: as we argued about who would be the first to go, we all started inching towards possible food sources or those who seemed to be more apt at survival. In the end, I had to break the spell. The room felt suffocating and in reality, or as real as life currently is, the apocalypse was the last of my worries--- I'd rather die knowing I finished my work than die knowing that I would've failed my finals.

    ReplyDelete