Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Letting Go


My idea for a thesis is based on the idea of searching for purpose in life throughout The Man in the High Castle.  One reoccurring theme that revolves around Mr.Tagomi, Julianna, and Hawthorne Abendsen is that they are always searching for worth or purpose in life, but in the end what they are looking for was within them all along all they needed to do is let go of their worries. I felt that in looking for answers for certain questions they gave themselves purpose. Also the use of the I Ching is a great example of how the answers were always within them all along. This is because the I Ching just lets you interpret a few words in the way you want to see them. The whole thing with letting go of worries has to do with the idea that all the characters find happiness when they let go. When Tagomi lets go of all anxieties and even overlooks the fact he is having a heart attack he begins to find some inner truth of sorts. Julianna and Abendsen both let go of the truth they found out, which was the fact they lived in a fictional novel. But they found happiness or at least appeared to be at ease because they simply overlooked the fact. I also felt that in looking for answers these two characters find that life does not always need direction or purpose to be enjoyable. I can wrap this up with some questions. Would you be okay with finding out you lived in a fictional novel? And if not what could you do about it? Finally is it true in saying that the happiest times people have in life are those in which all worries are thrown out the window whether knowingly or unknowingly?

1 comment:

  1. I would definitely have trouble discovering I was a character in a fictional novel, but then again, I don't know who wouldn't. I would hesitate before every decision I made and frankly, would die from over thinking. In response to your second question, I would agree that the happiest times people have in life are those in which all worries are thrown away, but I would not say this is the reason for their happiness. In contrast I believe such carefree moments are the result of our minds being engulfed by the happiness around us. In such moments we can not think of anything but the present. The idea of living in the present moment is perhaps another idea suggested by Phillip K. Dick in The Man in the High Castle. He generates this idea through his alternative world's fixation on objects of the past.

    ReplyDelete