Friday, November 29, 2013

You Can Try to Lie

    I was talking to my dad the other day and he was telling me about some of the things his father preached to him when he was a kid.  He said the main thing his father told him was to be honest.  My dad said my grandfather became successful because he was honest with everyone and that everyone always trusted him.  This made me laugh a little because I have been tricked and lied to in every book this semester.  While there is a difference between these books and reality, there is still an impact on these writers from lying.  I know have trouble believing anything these authors write.  They have earned a reputation and I do not know if they can get rid of this reputation, at least in my mind.  This shows the power of lying and how valuable the truth can be.  This class has made me have some doubt in everything someone says just because lying has so much power.  I do not letting getting lied too, so I always try to seek out the truth.  Everything I read and hear I think about differently now.  While this can be annoying at times, I generally like seeing the world through this different perspective.  

1 comment:

  1. I agree-- getting lied to is awful. However, another thing this class has taught me is that the "truth" is a much more complicated concept than I had previously thought. It is essentially impossible to define, and therefore nearly impossible to achieve. Although this is disconcerting, we have also learned that, consciously constructing them or not, we tend to live in a world of lies anyway. So, convincing people you are telling the truth is in itself a bit of a lie.

    ReplyDelete