Saturday, October 3, 2009

See I have this condition....

Although this movie as a whole was quite enjoyable and definitely kept my attention, I seemed fooled at the end. I was lead through the entire film thinking that Leonard was a good guy who was just dealt some bad cards. Up until the last five minutes of the film this could have been seen as true. However, you realize that Leonard is just a killer and nothing more. His intentions may seen understandable, seeing as he just wants vengenance for his wife's murder, but when does the killing get to be too much?

In the last five or so minutes of the film, the viewer learns that Leonard already killed the man who killed his wife and that Teddy has just taken advantage of his condition to use for his own personal gain. When the viewer is showed the beginning of Leonard's story, they see that he creates "John G." In the film, Leonard says, "You think I just want another puzzle to solve? Another John G to look for? You're a John G. So you can be my John G. Do I lie to myself to be happy? In your case, Teddy, yes, I will." So even though Leonard doesn't believe that Teddy is the John G that killed his wife, he imagines that he is so he can "be happy." It's at this point in the film that I felt decieved; Leonard is supposed to be the good guy who's just out to get a bad guy. But in the end, he is the bad guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment