Sunday, November 1, 2009

Eureka!

Note: This post has nothing to do with the book that we are reading in class. It deals with an experience outside of the class.

I had no idea that I could use the knowledge of truth and lies of English Literature in the real world. I was so excited when I did! LUCAP does hunger relief every Sunday, providing sandwiches, fruit, and snacks for the homeless people at a particular homeless shelter. So, I went last Sunday and after about an hour, watching the men playing dominoes, cracking jokes, and laughing. I started to look around and see other homeless people behaving in a similar fashion then it suddenly hit me, these people know their life is depressing, but they enjoy the little things they have friends, having clothes on their back, and having some sort roof over their head. To a civilized society seeing that they're living their life like slum-dogs is the actual truth in the real world. These strangers that suffering in the depths of poverty become family to one another by sticking together being like a family unit, and having a sense of togetherness doesn't make their life seem so bad. The joy they have in their miserable life is their truth. This joy they have with the company of each other is the force that keeps them going. The miserable life that we, civilized young adults, see through our eyes is a lie to them.

There is another truth and lie that exists in the realm of the poor and civilized. We are really overprotected by our civilized society, our families or other people that influence our lives. They have always drilled the fact that homeless people are disgusting savages, and we should avoid them at all costs because we are superior to them. To me that is a lie.

This is only my second trip in three months that I have gone to the hunger relief activity. What surprised me the most during my recent trip to the homeless shelter was that they did not treat us, students, with the same cold shoulder we usually treat them out on the streets. It's like they are forcing us to see we are not savages, we are just like you, our life just...sucks! It's like I don't know, you meet them and they treat you like you have always been in their family. This protective superior society makes the judgment call based on what they see on the outside, the way they are dressed, their smell, and their etiquette's. I wish there wasn't such a misconception of these people. At least by interacting with them I can see the truth for myself and not carry such a misconception on my shoulders. That is the actual truth in my eyes.

Although, this whole trip was out of my comfort zone, who knew that this class would make me see things in life like this. Kudos to you Dr. Schwartz, keep up the great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment