Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Kindred

Kindred so far has been my favorite book we have read in class. I was extremely engaged in the story and although we talked about it not really being suspenseful, because the novel started off with Dana being alive and well, I was enthralled throughout the book. I completely forgot that Dana would eventually be okay in the future, so I was constantly worried she would not make it out alive from her 1817 "reality". Also, I began to question whether Hagar would even be born and that Dana's 1976 "reality" would actually never happen. By the end of the novel, I was content with accepting that there was a time paradox and both times were actual realities.

1 comment:

  1. I agree. I was still feeling suspense and worry that Dana may not "make it" through her struggles with discrimination in both 1970s and 1800s. I, too, however accepted the paradox that is created where both time periods are her reality. It doesn't matter which came first or which was "real" much like it didn't matter in Things They Carried if the stories really happened. The point is that Dana's life changed because she saved herself in a way by going back to the antebellum south.

    ReplyDelete