Saturday, April 30, 2011

Memento

I really enjoyed the movie. I thought it was really intriguing, and I felt like I was solving the puzzle with him. I thought I had a pretty good idea of what was going on in the movie until the last 30 minutes or so. Did his wife die? Is he Stanley? Was his wife the diabetic? Is Teddy really to be trusted? So, basically Lenny has been searching for J. G. continuously, though he already killed him, if that was the real J.G.? And he knows he's lying to himself until he forgets again? I guess the movie does not fully explain everything, and it's left up to our interpretation of the movie, to decide for ourselves how we want to view it. I guess that's a good move for the director because I now want to re-watch the movie and continue to find more clues to really figure out Lenny's life. I think it was really interesting how the movie is shown backwards, and I wasn't too confused by that, it just took a little longer for my brain to process it. Plus, I think that process made us experience the movie like Lenny- with no known information before the events happen because we are watching it in reverse, so it's as if we have no recollection of what had already happened. I think this was a great movie for this class because we can't really trust anything in the movie or anyone- even Lenny, who I ended up disliking at the end unfortunately. I also think that each time I watch this movie, I would probably have a different opinion of Lenny because the movie makes you think differently, and since I know the ending, I could think of the scenarios differently. I'm still thinking about this movie a few days after we watched it, which I love, and that's a sign for me that it's a movie worth watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment