Saturday, September 17, 2011

I Don't Want to Kill the Cat if it Kills Me

They say, “Curiosity killed the cat.”

The witty reply, “But satisfaction brought it back."

I suppose, but what if there’s no damn cat?

In theory, the idea of knowing the truth, the ultimate truth (whatever that implies) is extremely appealing. Isn’t it what we long to discover in hopes that the answer to man’s greatest question would make our existences feel more substantial?

Science, interestingly, turns many of those philosophical musings from asking with the intent of a “why” to that of a “how.”

And now, I present an anecdote: Schrödinger's cat and then some


My high school had a brilliant, brilliant idea to have ninth graders study a semester of physics and a semester of chemistry before picking one to study for a yearlong in tenth grade. In theory, once again, it was an appealing idea. We would be exposed to a cornucopia of knowledge and free to decide for ourselves (though freedom was limited to the two options). In reality, throwing a bunch of pre-teenagers who barely understand the phenomena of puberty into an introductory physics class was… stupid.


We couldn’t understand most of the principles without later suffering from a headache and whatever watered down physics we learned simply wasn’t retained (fall/winter/spring/summer break amnesia).

Perhaps, the only thing I vividly remember from ninth grade physics was my professor, a kind woman who was new to teaching. Prior to standing before a class and trying to get them to stay awake, she was a physicist (and her husband was a researcher for NASA, isn’t that such a lovely match?)

She saw the world with all of its forces; we didn’t.


One day, during lab, she introduced to us the Cat.


In retrospect, everything seems to be related to cats (and I’m allergic).

“The cat,” she said with gusto, “is simultaneously alive and dead!”

She was faced with blank stares.

“But even if it didn’t die because of the poison or radiation, then would it die out of hunger or suffocation?”

“It’s… theoretical.”

“So theoretical cats don’t die?”

“It’s alive AND dead.”

“But…it’s a cat…in a box…”

By the time class ended, we stuffed the cat back into its box and buried the box alongside other academic jumble until the thought receded.

The semester ended and I concluded: that was awful. At least whatever we learn next will be better in comparison.


I was wrong. Chemistry was a mind-rapist, and I was left with the only option of regurgitating the textbook heavy enough to use as a weapon to get decent grades.


Trying to remember the different bonds and how atoms were attracted to each other (in a non-romantic way) was hard enough but trying to balance equations and calculate the amount of molecules in a theoretical drop of such and such made me flinch with fear.


I don’t doubt that science can create and manipulate properties of the unthinkable or that we can discover more than we do and should know, but science, at times, makes me feel hollow.


Am I nothing more than a mass of molecules, which in turn are masses of atoms, which then are masses of subatomic particles? Is the body nothing more than a system that one day will cease to function?


Isn’t it unsettling to think that your prefrontal cortex is responsible for determining your personality, when we think it’s something we have shaped with our life experiences? Shouldn’t we be able to define our own existences?


Why is it that so much in life is predetermined?

FATE and SCIENCE...


...sometimes, I don’t see much difference between the two, and while I don’t want to live a life of ignorance and half-truths, I would much rather stumble blindly in search of a “why?” than be blinded by the answer to a “how?”

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The other day, as I wrapped up yet another Friday evening by turning in my Chemistry problem set, I was telling my friends I found it hysterical that we'd spent half a year worth of Fridays pushing electrons on a piece of paper. It wasn’t the first time that thought had crossed my mind. Every semester, I up the level of my science courses and the deeper I go into a subject, the more I feel like I’m losing touch with the big picture. Everything I learnt in my intro courses made so much sense. An electron was a subatomic particle, a part of an atom. Simple enough. But then it became a wave. And then it was both. Now, it’s a particle in a box. What?

    But as much as it frustrates me, I can’t help thinking, “Wow!” Everything that ever existed is made of these tiny particles/waves/(a term we might be using to describe them 10 years from now). Here we were thinking, “It’s just a teacup.” But most of us can’t even begin to figure out what the hell is going on inside its tiniest possible fragment.

    It’s true, science can make us feel hollow. Why do we care what the teacup is made of? (That sounds familiar.) It’s just a minute detail in the grand scheme of things. As much as I feel like these details detach me from the real picture, I also believe they make me more aware of it. It makes me appreciate how much thought has been put down to the infinitesimal intricacies of the world and how amazing it is that they come together so perfectly every day of my life.

    I do stand by what I said earlier about how I feel more confused the more I learn. However, it doesn’t necessarily mean I am getting further away from reality. Maybe reality is a little fuzzy. Maybe there is no clear distinction between wave and particle, good and bad, truth and lies. The cat-in-a-box experiment you mentioned in your post was designed by Schrodinger. The paper he wrote about this experiment was called “Cat Paradox.” In the paper he said, “There is a difference between a shaky or out-of-focus photograph and a snapshot of clouds and fog banks.” Reality is perhaps a cloud?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too had a similar experience with the simultaneously dead and alive cat. It was one of the last days of school and after a year of terrifyingly hard to follow AP Physics material, my teachers decided to show us a movie. My friends and I were all excited! Finally we wouldn’t be lost in AP Physics. Little did we know that we would leave that class more confused than ever.

    So the movie starts, I’m pretty sure half of the class fell asleep right away. It was dark and we had just finished AP testing so it was completely understandable. I too was almost asleep, that was until I saw a cat being put into a box. Somehow, that cat was both living and dead (even though there was poison in the box that would kill the cat). My entire class (well at least the people who were awake) looked around the room sharing confused glances. This had turned out to be our most confusing physics class yet, and it was supposed to be a relaxing day.

    Following that class was time for lunch. My friends and I kept talking about that immortal (well sort of) cat. Eventually we forgot about it and moved on.

    I am still trying to understand how the cat can be both dead and alive, and although I just read an article on it, it is still not clear at all. Where is the ultimate truth in this mystery? I guess there isn’t one.

    ReplyDelete