Friday, September 16, 2011

Morality

Philosophy is such an interesting study, the investigation of truths and study of the being. My teacher, professor Werner for those who are familiar with him, conducts class in the best way possible. He wanders in, puts his cane down on the table, turns off all the lights and puts down all the shades. In darkness we watch the projected screen as the notes are displayed, 35 peers and me sit in the science center auditorium and just listen. He teaches us the important figures in philosophy and their views of life, which can be long, and not always the most entertaining. However he always drops that line, for example “there are no such things as intentions”. It blows everybody’s minds, and then we discuss, are there intentions? Are out intentions legitimate? Are they predictable as you age?
The reason I elaborate on my philosophy class is because there are times when I could see our Truth Lies and Lit class sitting in that same auditorium, trying to figure out the relationship between religion and science in Vonnegut’s Cat’s Cradle. I see in my head Professor Schwartz dropping that line, manipulating until somebody has the urge to disagree. I personally have a difficult time connecting science and religion into one central theme. I think that Vonnegut used Bokononism and the discovery ice-nine as fictional tools to spur our thoughts, and make the reader consider in the real world what is real about science and religion? What is moral about them?

1 comment:

  1. Are there intentions? That's an interesting, dangerous idea. Is there anything that we are certain of? If we don't have any specific intentions, then why do we do the things we do?

    oh, postmodern woes!!!

    ReplyDelete