Thursday, October 18, 2012

Originally, I was planning on posting about The Man in the High Castle, but something about the discussion we had last class will not leave my head. I believe this is because I am realizing how relevant it is to the social interactions I have with people all the time. Just yesterday, two of my friends mentioned to me that the issue of deciding what they are going to major in is a source of constant tension between them and their parents. As I hear happens so frequently, these college students my age are fighting with one or both of their parents because they wish to pursue some sort of humanities major, while their parents want them to take a math/science route because a humanities major “won’t get them anywhere.” Immediately upon hearing this, I thought of the idea that we focused on during Tuesday’s talk of “defending” a liberal arts school—I slowly realized how much this phenomenon angers me. Why is a liberal arts education the only one that needs defending? There is truly something to be said for learning to effectively communicate and develop relationships with professors or professor-like figures, and I don’t think this is hard to see. Thinking for one’s self is a skill that I believe is being drowned out by other priorities that people in this day and age seem to have, and whose importance is clearly declining. I am curious to see when people other than liberal arts college attendees will cease failing to realize this, or when it will become something that is generally accepted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment