Tuesday, October 16, 2012

What's your sign, baby?


Following our class discussion today about being conditioned to accept answers from authority, I realized that those believers in the power of the I Ching in The Man in the High Castle are involved in a similar relationship. American natives who might otherwise have never been exposed to Eastern mysticism/spirituality find their culture inundated with the beliefs of their Japanese conquerors. Perhaps the Americans aren't all exactly thrilled with this, but most seem completely taken in by the ancient Chinese text that seems to hold all the answers. In much the same way as Americans are physically limited by the Japanese physically occupying what was once their country, they are also mentally limited by a text that makes a judgment on their actions. The I Ching renders its users paralyzed. They are unable to make decisions with confidence, or to make any decisions at all, without its vague advice. I can see the potential of the I Ching to become highly addictive, in much the same way as love-life horoscopes were like catnip to me and my friends in 9th grade. (As a Sagittarius, I am supposed to be "inspired, truth-seeking, philosophical, optimistic, and studious," which of course makes me immediately attempt to reconcile myself with these qualities). Stuff like that is fun, and while we can laugh it off with "of course the Ouija board doesn't move on its own!", I think there's a little part of everyone that either wants it to be true, or is frightened that it might be true. Because when it comes to the future, there is no real authority. I guess that's why we accept answers from such dubious sources.

Oh, and according to my love horoscope, I'm supposed to "do some serious and constructive talking today concerning my current relationship." So watch out, whoever you are.











No comments:

Post a Comment