Thursday, November 15, 2012

D'aww, can we keep it?


When we were assigned to read a children's book, I found myself reacting much the way a child would.  I was super happy about it and couldn't wait to start reading.  I would tell my friends in a casual way that made it seem like no big deal that I was required to read a choose-your-own-adventure book for a college class, concealing my true excitement.  Everyone asked "why in the world do you have to read a silly kid's book?" to which I would respond "I dunno, but it's awesome!"  I didn't think about it a whole lot before reading it, but now it makes a whole lot of sense to read it in this class.  From the first day of class Janelle outright told us that we would be manipulated throughout the course, and furthermore that we are being constantly manipulated by professors and other influences, but she was the only one doing so transparently.   House of Danger draws attention to this manipulation like no other text we read.  “Choose Your Own Adventure” sounds so empowering, when in reality the reader has almost no control at all.  Even the title is a command; choose your own adventure – come on, do it! I dare you!  And we all did it.  Most of the sense of control I had dissolved by the first ending I reached about 3 minutes into reading in which I died alone in the house.  Okay, maybe I hadn’t made the best decision - I probably should have sensed that trap.  I was at least hoping that there would be some way for me to survive given my initial choice.  As the text continued, other endings seemed not to be based on my actual choices at all, completely removing any remaining feeling of control.  By the end of the book I felt used and deceived, which I’m betting is the way Janelle wanted us to feel.  The book did a great job driving home the point of manipulation, which is exactly what it was supposed to do.  Sure, it isn’t a beautiful work of literature, but I think it is better that way.  It makes the purpose more transparent. 
Also, it was fun and easy to read.  I think this book is a keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment