Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Only an adventure if you want it to be


I’m a little indifferent to whether or not this should remain on the syllabus. On the negative side this is a children’s book but more importantly I was confused as to how much we should have read. I only read a few endings but was that enough? Who knows?  Also if you go into reading this pick your own adventure genre not looking for an adventure the book will quickly cast you out. I took a very conservative path and found an ending by only reading about 20 pages and felt I didn’t even understand what the House of Danger was. But then again was that not the point being that I made decisions to avoid danger. On the positive side this book was a nice change of pace. Also this makes for reading chapter additions more enjoyable. If everyone had to write a new chapter on a single book it could get very repetitive, while this book can create a plethora of topics and adventures for us to think of. All in all being that our professor is the lead manipulator or the “DM” of the class it is her decision. After writing this post I now remember, regardless of it all, we were already “manipulated” into reading this book. It might as well be left on the syllabus because should it not be the choice of the next class to decide whether or not they will read the House of Danger?

1 comment:

  1. Nice ending point. I wonder if any of the classes in the past have fought against her manipulation and not read a book? In my past years of schooling, not reading a book on the syllabus was really not an option so I think that it is too short an amount of time for people to take "pushing back" really seriously.

    ReplyDelete