Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Just a Dream


When I first started Aura, I honestly was not particularly interested in the book.  But as it progressed and as Felipe became more entangled into the mystery of the house, I found myself captivated. The dark images and the aspects of magical realism drew me into the book and I soon found myself wondering what creepy plot twist was going to happen next. I was also drawn in by the abundant imagery, especially the use of colors. The contrast between Aura’s green dress and eyes and the ‘dark old house’ emphasize Aura’s mystical and dreamlike nature, drawing Felipe toward her in the same way that the reader is intrigued by the text.
Although each dark twist in the book leads to the reader finally learning that Aura was actually just a dream all along, the book just cuts off without really answering how or why Senora Consuelo recreates a younger version of herself. It seems like it is solely for Felipe to fall in love with her, yet what does that mean about Felipe if he coincidentally is just a younger version of Senora Consuelo’s dead husband? This layering of past and present and magical realism kept me engaged in the book, but then just left me confused when it all ended, which might have been Fuentes’ plan all along.

3 comments:

  1. I found it interesting that the use of second person narration actually made me more detached from the story. I would think that the direct commands to the reader to step into the main character's position would invoke the opposite response, but for some reason, I struggled to immerse myself in the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too felt captivated by the book as soon as Felipe stepped into the house. It felt like when Alice was entering Wonderland, because I became so enthralled in discovering all the oddities of the Consuelo home that I didn't mind how creepy and horrible it truly is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you. I too was really drawn into this tale. From the very first paragraph, I felt as if I was in a trance like state. I believe that it was all because of the second person narrative telling me what I was "seeing."

    ReplyDelete