Monday, September 23, 2013

Different Views

I read The Things They Carried in High School and I thought it was an alright book with some interesting stories throughout the way.  I enjoyed the “Enemies” and “Friends” chapters when I first read this book because I liked seeing two guys come together after getting in a fight with each other.  I also found Elroy just as interesting and he had the same positive effect on me this time through.  While I still read the stories very similar, I read the book completely different.  It was a little frustrating reading this book thinking that nothing could be true.  When I got to the chapter “How to Tell a True War Story” I literally didn’t want to read it because I was going to be so confused.  In High School I remember thinking that the truth is sometimes hard to believe in war and that all stories do not have a moral.  This was pretty easy to understand and I went with everything O’Brien was writing.  Now I don’t know what to believe because I view this book differently.  I cannot form a definite opinion on whether I actually think there was music in the mountains or not.  Every time I read that part over I think of a different answer.  This book is clearly having a much greater impact on me the second time through.  Whenever I think pieces of the book are coming back to me, they just get scrambled up and I forget what is true.  I do not know what to believe going forward in this novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment