Friday, September 20, 2013

Ignorance is Bliss


While reading Cat’s Cradle as well as your posts I started to think about the saying “ignorance is bliss” and what this really means.  I always disagreed with this because I have always thought the world to be such a rich place that not taking advantage of anything there is to learn would be a shame.  How could anyone be happy not knowing?  It never seemed fulfilling to me.  However, Vonnegut made me question my logic.  The world is inherently a place of uncertainty where almost nothing is ever really true.  So, in a sense, we are all living in ignorance. 
Furthermore “ignorance is bliss” has almost the same meaning as “living by the foma that make you…happy.”  However, I think there is a key difference.  Living by a certain set of foma involves choosing to live by them, constructing your own reality in which to live.  Choosing to live by a set of lies requires a deep awareness, not ignorance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment