Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Why I Let Myself Be Manipulated

This post is going to make me sound really stupid. I'm very susceptible to advertising, okay? I've admitted it, I've accepted it, and I actually kind of like it.

Example: In high school, I worked at the mall, and during my break I would head to Starbucks to blow an hour's worth of wages on the Frappuccino of the day and a stale pastry. One day I decided to end this madness and buy a Coke at the dollar store. But right next to the normal Cokes were these incredibly cool, old-timey, made-out-of-aluminum-but-shaped-like-a-bottle vintage can things! Obviously, I needed one. I mean, come on, it's the perfect marriage of retro and sleek, of old-school sensibility and new-school style! I snatched one out of the cooler, happily paid for it, and headed back to my store.

Coworker: "What is that?"
Me: "A Coke! Isn't it cool?!"
Coworker: "…you realize that's probably half the size of a normal can but costs the same, right?"
Me: "But…it's in a bottle-can!"

Yeah, okay, so The Man's ploy worked on me. But I really like that bottle-can! It's at home on my desk right now, cleaned out and filled with tissue paper flowers. That's more than anyone else can say about all their Coke cans that ended up in the recycling bin. Does it really matter that I was manipulated into buying it if it made me happy? (Now we're back to Cat's Cradle.)

In addition, I'm the proud owner of numerous infomercial products, including Flex Seal (it's liquid rubber in a can!) and Fushigi (the magic gravity ball!). I love (good) commercials, and I'm not ashamed of it.

One of my current favorites:

No matter what your opinion of the advertising industry, you have to admit that's a great ad! It has a touching story, swift pacing, and (in my opinion) some nice cinematography. Regardless of its intentions, it does everything that a TV episode should do, all in under ninety seconds. I think that's a pretty amazing feat. Honestly, it really doesn't bother me that this commercial was designed to sell tablets, and I don't think enjoying this stuff makes me a materialistic drone. I buy what I like, I watch what I like, and I don't really care if it's what The Man intended. Either way, it makes me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment