Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Need for Truth

Everything we do in this class has a point and I always try to figure out what that point is before it is given to us.  I sometimes head in the right direction for the reasoning behind the books we read, but I usually think of a completely different idea.  My reasons are never as valuable either.  When I heard we were watching Memento I was very excited because I love movies.  I came into the movie with no prior knowledge about the film (even though we were supposed to read a little background) because I did not want something I read to change the way I saw the movie.  With about 40 minutes left in the film I feel like I have a good idea for what is going on.  I have a couple questions, but I am not confused from the film.  I now ask myself, what is the point of watching this movie?

 At first I thought it was to show us the importance of good note taking, but that did not seem to fit the framework of the class.  Leonard has to trust himself more than anyone because he cannot remember if anyone has lied to him.  Therefore he makes these notes and tattoos to always keep the truth.  This movie shows how valuable the truth really is and what can happen to someone when they have lost all sense of trust.  It seems that Leonard is beginning to trust Natalie, but can he ever be a hundred percent positive?  This class has showed us the meaning of lies and deception, but this movie shows us more the strength of the opposite: truth.  Without the truth or facts reality becomes very hard to understand and everything becomes a lie.  Leonard is trying to find the truth and untangle these lies to find the killer of his wife, but will he ever be sure who that person was?

No comments:

Post a Comment