Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Trust the Process


I’m going to be honest- I don’t entirely know what to write about here. On that note… here it goes.

Reading “Shitty First Drafts” and “Perfectionism” made me feel a little bit better because I could relate to many things Anne Lamott said. For example, on page 23 she talked about how she would sit down to write and panic would set in after she first started writing. I am a bit of a perfectionist myself, so when I go to write, I get frustrated when I write something that is really bad or if I can’t think of something really good to say. With this upcoming essay, I am really going to try to listen to the advice Lamott gave. When I write an essay, how I normally start is by making an outline where I just purge everything I might want to say. I’m going to do that with this outline, and then I’m going to do it again with my first draft. I’m hoping I can learn to “trust the process” (Pg. 25) like Lamott says to do, and that it will make me a better writer.

No comments:

Post a Comment