Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Is Chabon Hitchcock?

Before reading Michael Chabon's The Final Solution, I reminded myself to be wary of information thrown at the reader and to not become too comfortable with the characters or the plot, since most of the literature we have read in this class were riddled with lies. I was not fooled, likes some of Chabon's characters, by the old man's ability to know uncommon knowledge (if you read carefully, you will see that the old man merely acquired information and then dangled it in front of the information's protagonist so as to gain their respect and admiration). The only person the cantankerous old man seems to be at ease with is the young boy, placing far more importance on finding his lost bird than finding a murderer. 
The plot line so far reminds me Alfred Hitchcock's The 39 Steps, where Professor Jordan tries to kidnap a man named Mr. Memory, who has memorized a secret code that controls the fate of the war. Mr. Memory, of course, is Chabon's parrot.
I really enjoy Chabon's writing style--how he provides information in scattered fragments, forcing the reader to categorize different events into a timetable. Normally, I dislike disjointed writing, but Chabon's chaotic script has an underlying fluidity that is surprising and welcoming. I look forward to finishing the book!
On a side note, I once had to house sit for a family while they were away on vacation. I thought they had two dogs and seven cats (already a lot), but when I entered the house someone said, "hello?" I was mortified, thinking that there was a burglar, but when I rounded the corner there was a parrot sitting in a cage. During the course of the week, I came to realize that the parrot had a rather wide vocabulary, although mostly all very profane.

1 comment:

  1. I also noticed how the old man (I guess Sherlock Holmes) acted like be just deduced that the parrot belongs to a young Jewish boy. In reality he had met the boy and parrot before and didn't deduce anything. It's interesting to see this because normally we get manipulated by the author but in this case we are witnessing one character manipulate another. We see how easily people believe a lie when when there is even the slightest reason. Even though they all thought he was a little crazy, the fact that he used to be a famous detective leads them to believe what he says even though it doesn't make sense that he would deduce that.

    ReplyDelete