Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes and Lies in the Media


Hey guys! Man that was a fast spring break, anyways I just wanted to start this post off with something I actually watched over the break. It was a scene in Netflix’s original series House of Cards. I’m pretty sure that many of you have already seen the new season already, but it was the part when Francis and Claire were talking. Claire starts by saying “ We’ve been lying for a long time Francis” and Francis answers with “Of course we have imagine what the voters would think if we started telling the truth”. If you don’t follow the House of Cards, Francis Underwood is currently the president in the series. However, in order to get there he had to deceive and lie to many people. After watching this scene, I actually got goose bumps thinking about how easily the politicians today could lie and cheat the citizens of America in order to access power. Another scene that made me think about lies was one of the chapters in the Sherlock Holmes. It was the one about the Stockbroker’s Clerk. The story was about two criminals that tried basically to steals other peoples identities by tricking them by giving them larges sums of money in order to steal that person’s signature. When I read over this story. I thought about how these criminals were able to survive in today’s society solely on lies. They lied to people in order to steal money. Then with that money they would lie to more people to think they are someone they aren’t in order to get their identity. With that identity, they would then lie to the world and society by pretending to be people that they really weren’t. However the gut wrenching part is that no one would be able to tell unless they knew him or her in the past. It frightens me how people are able to lie and get almost anything they want.

1 comment:

  1. I most definitely watched House Of Cards over break too! It's funny, I often think of this class in the context of Frank Underwood, mainly because I understand him as the single best manipulator in the fictional world. I think what makes him so powerful is his lack of empathy and his ability to lie without remorse. But I think what he says is chillingly true, some people can't handle the truth. But I agree with you, it frightens me to think of how many people can be lying to you and you can't ever really know unless you knew them prior.

    ReplyDelete