Tuesday, October 6, 2009

"Just don't think about it..."

I couldn't even begin to count the number of times I've been in a situation that wasn't to my liking, and hearing someone tell me, "just don't think about it."

Before this movie, I would like to think that this statement is easier said than done. Memento gives a different spin on the truth of this statement. Leonard's world is completely based on his ability to remain focused, and by doing so, keeping his memory in tact for as long as possible. However, the moment Leonard "doesn't think about it" that memory is lost forever. There have been times where I wished I could just forget a memory, but Leonard showed me that I'd rather just deal with the problems than forget they ever happened.

I know it was not Leonard's fault that he lost his memory. His situation was terrible. However, even though his condition was not controllable, he learned how to work his own system. Revenge got the best of him. Even in his moments of clarity when he knew his deed had been done - he killed his wife's rapist, he chose to pretend it never happened. It was not his mental condition that forgot his successful revenge. He just "didn't think about it."

This movie has fit in with our class perfectly. Looking around while watching the movie, everyone was clearly captivated and connected with the movie. It was nice having the visual effects of what lies can do to us. While reading our literature, it was our minds that created the characters and acted it out in our heads. Watching the movie, the lies were even harder to not get caught up in. It was a perfect example of how a story can make us think and feel how the author wants us to feel. In this case, we were called in to Leonard's world - a world where we just don't have to think about it.

1 comment:

  1. I agree a hundred percent. I would much rather keep my memory than have to deal with a situation like Leonard's. Even though at times I wish i could forget about certain things, it's better to remember.

    ReplyDelete