Saturday, January 29, 2011

Thoughts on Discussion

The discussion of Supernatural and the beginning of Cat's Cradle got me thinking on how differently I can view things now. Usually when reading or watching something I just see what is on the surface and not read so much more into it. Listening to everyone talk about their thoughts on the show and the book made me realize I have the same thoughts but it would just take me a little while more to figure them out. I can tell this class and future books we will be reading will lead me to become more of a mindful reader.

2 comments:

  1. It's interesting that you mention this, because I am the same way. I also find that when I listen to the discussions I remember things in the readings that connect to what is being said and then come up with new ideas from my connections.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also am the same way. I am more of a literal reader, so going in depth into novels and movies takes more time. However, I always find that I at least scratch the surface of what is being discussed, and just need a little push to further investigate what I had originally only begun to acknowledge. Then through the discussions, I can find new ways of interpreting the meanings and gather new conclusions, but my mind just takes longer to process it all. This is also why I am not always active in discussions at first, though I am actively listening, I just need time to absorb everything.

    ReplyDelete