Friday, February 18, 2011

Voodoo Lecture

I really enjoyed the lecture, but I went into it with quite a bit of apprehension. I wasn't sure what to expect in terms of how much I would actually learn, or if I was going to be force fed the sensationalized version of "voodoo." Luckily, the lecture wasn't one sided, and focused on the two main interpretations of what has been come to be known as Voodoo. The history of the religion/culture was given, and the flashy form created for commercial purposes was introduced as well. The lecture depended heavily upon perspective. As the audience, we had to be conscious of the importance of perspective when we were introduced to the term, "zombie" and it's meanings. In reference to the raised from the dead "zombie," Mark Mollendorf said that even though this meaning is best known to the public, that doesn't make it the truth. That really struck me as connecting to this class. The sensationalized "Voodoo," although deceptive in some aspects of the facts and actual beliefs of the religion, was based upon the religion. In that sense it is not a whole truth, but not entirely a lie, either. Although the complete truth and integrity of the religion is often jeopardized by the senstionalized version, it does serve a good purpose. It has helped to build up New Orleans' economy, which reminds me of what Bokononism was to San Lorenzo.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! I'm thrilled to read about the connections you made to our course... asmI was listening to Mark's lecture I was hoping that younall would pick up on some possible parallels with the texts we've been reading. So thank you for articulating some of these!

    ReplyDelete