Friday, February 18, 2011

Voodoo Lecture

I really enjoyed the lecture I attended last night. Being from New Orleans I've heard rumors and misconceptions about voodoo often. Luckily the lecture by Mark last night cleared up New Orleans voodoo for me. It was interesting to hear him explain the history I have heard often. Marie Laveau is a very familiar name to most New Orleanians and hearing the history from "voodoo priest" was enlightening. I also found interesting how assured he was about the things he had seen and experienced it reminded me of discussions we've had about truth versus reality. It would be interesting to see a ritual and see if this "truth" is reality or something experienced only be very spiritual people. Overall I'm really glad we had the opportunity to learn more about this religion.

1 comment:

  1. When I was sitting in the lecture room I remember thinking.. "what does this have to do with our class" and as i was walking away I couldn't help but recall the many times he mentioned history. The connection between "popular opinion" or "social interpretation" is constantly changing but every one should seek out the "truth". People take things for face value these days and whether its its chosen ignorance or oblivious, there is no excuse. Simply asking questions like Mark obviously does can get us to the truth. I'll admit that I never had an interest in voodoo even though i was surrounded by a heavy Haitian population and I am glad I got the opportunity to learn more about it.

    Whether voodoo is "real" or not doesn't matter to me, what does matter is the influence it has on people and the way its been used as a tool for many different reasons. Truth doesn't limit what a religion can do, just like many of the books we've read.

    ReplyDelete