Thursday, March 17, 2011

I used to think that I always thought for myself

Thoughts from Tuesday's discussion continue to visit me. Thoughts about how the class has shaped us, the pressure of choosing a career, and the choice between producing work from you or simply restating the professor's views.

First of all, this class has definitely made me think more critically of myself as well as reevaluate the way I process information. For example: before this class, I used to think that I always thought for myself however, looking back, I also let society think for me sometimes. After realizing this, I stopped bullshitting myself and began to set goals based on what I want from me, and not what the world expects of me.

However, being honest with myself was harder than I thought. I am an art major. I really enjoy expressing myself through art, but lately, being strait up with myself, I can't help but feel a bit like a whore, like a professional people pleaser, simply because of the Art classes I'm taking now that exploit the commercial functions of art rather than focus on its expressive qualities.

No comments:

Post a Comment