Sunday, March 13, 2011

freakonomics

I read Freakonomics for another class, and all throughout it I kept thinking of this class. For those who don't know much about Freakonomics, the book focuses on using economics to question certain quirky questions about the world. I really recommend the book to everyone, even if you think economics sounds extremely boring - I thought the same thing before I read the book. The authors make the material interesting and "provocative" as many of the reviews stated. The authors talk a lot about questioning conventional wisdom, and makes many great points about it, especially regarding parenting. Anyways, it made me think about how we accept certain "truths" about the world, and so many things are seen as general knowledge, but are they really the truth? Research data is questioned in the book, and the authors admit that many experts use information to their advantage for their own gains.. and therefore stretch the facts. The book just reinforced my use of critical thinking, and along with this course, is forcing me to question more than I used to. And because of that, the world, and everything, seems more interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment