Thursday, March 17, 2011

Random quote relating to our class..

Today I was reading a blog, and I came across a few statements that resonate with our class: "My memory of the conversation is more abstract than actual, and while the words have long since escaped me, the feeling of that interaction is as vivid as anything I remember. As a child it is not often that adults level with you and speak to you simply as a human being and not some lesser thing. At least I remember feeling that way back then." After reading this, I thought of our discussions about memories, especially when we were reading O'Brien's novel, and how events can never be retold exactly how they happened because we are always editing it, even in just our own minds depending on our perceptions. The idea that although we may not remember most of a certain event or conversation, the impression that it made on us can be more valuable and more meaningful than the actual experience itself- and therefore (in relation to O'Brien), a war story resonating that emotion is more accurate and important than a factual retelling of a war. I thought the statements above express this idea quite eloquently, and I was just really excited to find relevance to our class in a favorite band's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment