Sunday, November 13, 2011

Limited Choices in Designing a CYOA

Ironically for my computer science final project I have decided to design a “choose your own adventure” type game. While I haven’t come up with the story yet, I do know that players will be given two choices for every event/obstacle they face. Players will also be able to collect items and gold along the way as they complete certain tasks.


Even though it would seem like I have the ultimate choice in creating the game the way I want it to be, even I the designer have my choices limited. While I would love to give the player more than two options to decide on for each scenario, I simply cannot. To do so would take an exorbitant amount of time because each choice would branch out into three more choices, and into three more choices, and so on until there would be too many possibilities for me to have time to design.


Not only is my choice limited by time, but it is also limited by the program itself. While I would love to make the story long and have many different possible endings, Visual Basic (what I am designing the project in) would probably get very “angry” at me for having too many forms (basically different screens). If I did one thing that VB didn’t “like” or add one too many forms then my entire game could pretty much self-implode and ruin what I had coded/designed. If that didn’t happen it would be likely that my program would run really slowly and make it not worth playing.


When I spoke to my computer science professor he agreed that I had to make it short. While it would be neat if it was longer he confirmed that it would likely cause problems with my project and could ultimately ruin it. So my story is only going to have a few different endings and a limited number of choices for the user. My choice on how to design this project is not really my choice but a combination of a bunch of other factors that I cannot control.

(P.S. being able to control time would solve a lot of problems.)

No comments:

Post a Comment