Wednesday, November 28, 2012

It Was Clear, Blue, and My Downfall


In this day and age I think that it is painfully obvious what things manipulate us in our everyday lives. We see commercials and advertisements and billboards and slogans that bombard us constantly with this sense of unending want. We are surrounded by people and businesses and images that make us feel like we are missing the next "must-have" product or the newest convenience and the scary part is that we cave. We as a society have caved to awesome selling power that is society. The biggest manipulator out there is oneself.

                We are all victims, and not to say victims as we have all been perpetrated or betrayed, but victims in the sense that we have all been affected. My manipulation came in the form of a water bottle. When the semester started I never carried a Nalgene. I would walk around campus not even thinking about getting a drink or where a water fountain was, not to say that people generally know where water fountains are, or that I was thirsty. Yet, as the semester went on I noticed more and more Nalgenes. At the Climbing Wall where I work they are almost a part of the scenery, everyone who works there has one. So I started carrying one. It was simple and quick and it didn’t really leave me pondering my decision, but it happened. But the beauty of it is that it solved a problem; a problem that had never existed before. I think that is the true heart of manipulation, to create a problem and then to solve it.

No comments:

Post a Comment