Monday, February 10, 2014

Busy, busy, busy.

Vonnegut seems to be constantly reminding the readers of Cat's Cradle of the inevitable power of the writer. The protagonist is one himself, and as he is writing his own novel, I can't help but wonder if his work reflects the 'truth' of what we have been told by Vonnegut in his version of the story. This mystery is what brings us back to the fact that Vonnegut can tell us whatever he pleases, and that the difference between his account and his character's is irrelevant since none of it actually happened. This leads me to question the sources of information I receive in my day-to-day life as well. Even if a particular person witnesses an event and describes the story to me, I have to take into account that they have biases and experiences that shape how they interpret the event. But I am no exception to that, seeing as if I had been present at the same event, there is no telling how differently or similarly I may internalize it. If I were a survivor of the end of the world, my book might have been entirely different than Jonah's, Sam's, or Vonnegut's.

1 comment:

  1. The argument you are making here is very similar to the discussion we had in class on whether the true depiction of reality is elusive or ilusive. It is not known whether there is no true reality and therefore we all have different interpretations of the reality, or if there is a true reality and everyone is interpreting the reality on their own way. I believe that there is a true reality; however, each individual's mind works in their own way. It is not that the reality itself is unreal, it is our interpretation of the reality that makes it seem unreal or real.

    ReplyDelete