Monday, April 28, 2014

Light Side/ Dark Side

This past Sunday afternoon was the housing lottery, where we are supposed to figure out where we will live next year and with who. I kept hearing people freaking out because they weren't going to get the dorm they wanted, or there were no rooms left where they wanted to be. However, every time I asked someone where they were living they answered with "dark side" or "light side." My roommate and I really wanted to be in Bundy, where all sophomores are supposedly going to be, so when both our numbers ended up being quite terrible we did not get it. 

I was not mad that I ended up getting a dark side dorm, I was fine with it. To be honest it does not make that big of a difference to me where I am as long as I am around some of my friends, which I am. Every single time I told someone I ended up on the dark side (whatever this even means) they would respond "Oh I'm so sorry" or "You're gonna be such a dark sider." Someone tell me how what dorm building I was put in because my lottery number was terrible is going to change my personality from a science person to an artsy person? I'm pretty sure that cannot happen. 
So who says what one side is versus the other? Why should I have to fit into those stereotypes? Yeah, I live on the dark side, take four classes on the light side, three of which are sciences-- and I am totally okay with it. 

Why has our campus been divided into two in the first place? And why do we allow the stereotypes of each side dictate who we are? A few years ago, tour guides were not allowed to refer to this side of campus as the dark-side, implying that it is a bad thing. Why? 

Yes I live on the dark side with huge concrete buildings. No, I don't listen to indie music, I take all science classes, and I can barely draw a stick figure.

No comments:

Post a Comment