Sunday, April 27, 2014

Picture Perfect

Today I asked a friend to help me take pictures that I could send to my brother and mother for their birthdays coming up.  However, I know nothing about photography so he had to help me out a lot.  One of the things he taught me was that it is often more pleasing to have the subject of your photograph off to the side of the frame as opposed to right in the middle.  I tried a bunch of different shots, some with the subject in the middle and some with it off the to the side.  And he was right.


I saw that even if I thought a photograph would come out well, often it fell flat.  This reminded me of the Polaroids in Momento.  Even though Leonard tried to use his Polaroids to remember, they weren't enough.  He was often confused by why he had taken the photo or what the memory actually was.  Even though he had a picture of a memory he wanted to help capture, it always fell short.  He needed to use words to label the Polaroids.  And even then, once he wrote something down on his Polaroid, he would believe the words completely because he had nothing else to go off of.  However, as we have seen through our class and what I found out today is that words and pictures can be deceiving and manipulative.  The only thing we count on is our intuition and whatever feels right.  But even our intuition can fail us.  So what can we truly count on?  

No comments:

Post a Comment