Monday, April 28, 2014

What its like on the other side...

After reading Martina's post about dorms and the anxiety everyone was feeling going into housing, I just wanted to give my view of it from a different angle.
I am going to be an RA next year in Bundy West. I didn't have to deal with the process of lottery and figuring out where I was going to live. I've known that information since March.

But sitting at the tables during the sophomore housing was really unsettling. In the beginning it was fine because people with good numbers got the rooms they wanted. But as numbers began to increase and the rooms available started to decrease, the stress that engulfed the room was unbearable. People would be freaking out about how they didn't get the rooms they wanted or that they would have to walk from the dark side. I felt helpless even though I was the one who was supposed to be helping them figure out their living situation.

There were girls running to get their sticker and number without looking at the charts and available rooms. They just went straight to where they wanted, hoping something was left. There were times were they had to go back and forth between buildings because they wanted to be by friends but also wanted to get a good room. In that time where they left one table, the original room they wanted would be taken by someone else and they would have to figure out a whole new plan again. I wanted to cry for them because they ended up screwing themselves over. I also witnessed someone who was planning on pulling a friend completely leave them in the dust. There was one bundy single left and the kid wanted to live there. It was awkward for me to witness the interaction but the friend was understanding... for the most part.

It was also interesting too see where people ended up living because of the new situations with the all freshman buildings. Next year will be interesting because housing this year was so messed due to this new rule with freshman dorms but I know I will have fun no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment