Tuesday, February 10, 2015

The In-Between

This is not the first time I have read The Things They Carried. With that being said, this is the first time I have read The Things They Carried after starting this class. I read this book keeping this new concept of an “unreliable narrator” in the back of my head. O’Brien is much more straightforward than Vonnegut. He is also writing about the Vietnam War, which actually happened, whereas Vonnegut wrote about a clearly fictional plot including a substance that destroyed the whole world. Therefore, I deduced that O’Brien was at least somewhat trustworthy. I did some research on O’Brien to determine his credibility.

Side note: When I typed research, all I could think about was the Cat’s Cradle reference to research. Ya know, when you are “re-searching” for something. Weird.

Anyway, from good ol’ reliable Wikipedia, I found that O’Brien was a Vietnam War Veteran. Also, he did go to Macalester for his undergraduate degree and then Harvard University for his graduate diploma, like he boasted in his book. Ok. His story checks out. But then why are we reading it? He has to by lying about something!


Upon further reading, I stumbled upon a chapter titled Good Form. I do not want to spoil this for anyone who has not read this far yet, but this chapter describes how to form a “good story”.  O’Brien states that the stories in the book actually occurred but some are embellished to make the reader feel as if he were actually in Vietnam with him. “What stories can do, I guess, is to make things present” (172). It appears this book is in-between fictional tales and non-fiction war stories. O’Brien does not tell us when he is embellishing these stories, but does indicate many of the events actually happened. Earlier in the book, Mitchell Sanders scolds Rat Kiley on his improper story-telling technique, saying that he is ruining the flow. The storyteller is a very powerful person. He has the power to manipulate the readers. It is up to us to decide what is true, and what is added for effect.

2 comments:

  1. I think you are touching on a cool point of how truths to some people aren't necessarily true for others. The prologue states "Those who have had any such experience as the author will see its truthfulness at once." It's interesting to think that truths are dependent on everyone's past experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always find this topic funny, the idea of embellishing a story so that it sounds better. I have a friend here who tells the funniest stories. She'll have an entire table in commons crying from laughter at dinner. The part that kind of stinks is that we've all come to realize that a majority of her stories have never happened. Or they happened, but it was a much less exciting or funny event. At first this really annoyed me, the fact that she thought she could lie to us all the time. But eventually I came to terms with it, and I actually like it. Her stories are still hilarious, you just have to know in the back of your mind that it's not true. Once you come to terms with that, it's fine. The same goes true for O'Brien. Just because these stories aren't true, doesn't make them any less valuable or meaningful than if they were.

    ReplyDelete