Tuesday, February 10, 2015

What can we learn from the Books of Bokonon?

On the final page of Cat’s Cradle Kurt Vonnegut turns the story on itself and converges the layers of narration.  The narrator finally meets Bokonon who shows the narrator the final passage in The Books of Bokonon.

If I were a younger man, I would write a history of human stupidity; and I would climb to the top of Mount McCabe and lie down on my back with my history for a pillow; and I would take from the ground some of the blue-white poison that makes statues of men; and I would make a statue of myself, lying on my back, grinning horribly, and thumbing my nose at You Know Who.


Here, the multiple narratives of the novel converge. The history of human stupidity, a book within John’s narrative, is revealed to likely be John’s book, which is Cat’s Cradle itself, written by Kurt Vonnegut. Since the narratives converge, we can read Bokonon’s advice to John as Kurt Vonnegut’s advice to the reader. The end of the novel reveals that the whole storyline led to basically nothing. It was a great big story that ended with the death of all humanity. In the final line, Vonnegut thumbs his nose at us the readers for falling for his trick. He challenges us to, not kill ourselves, but break the status quo. Rather than kill himself with the masses like most of San Lorenzo did, Bokonon/John/Vonnegut would climb the never-before-climbed Mt. McCabe and kill himself there. Vonnegut is sticking our faces in our tendency to blindly trust the writer and pushing us to break away from societal norms. He wants to challenge generally accepted “truths” and question everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment