Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Fine Print

One of my pet peeves is when I enter into an agreement under the impression that all the terms were made clearly known to me, and then, the fine print distorts the terms of the agreement, usually to my disadvantage. Fine print is a tool designed for salesmen and other dealmakers to take advantage of the person agreeing to a contract. It unfairly makes use of the fact that people hurry through life and only skim through documents that they naively perceive to be straightforward. One time, I was considering signing up for Napster in order to download my music. I was about to purchase a subscription when I noticed the fine print in the agreement stating that all music I downloaded to my computer would be deleted if I ever were to cancel my subscription with Napster. That fine print was a deal breaker.

Yes, it is possible to read through all the fine print in every document. Ideally, we all would do that. However, fine print in contracts is often so long and dense – with most (but not all) of it being relatively meaningless – it becomes impractical to spend extra time reading it.

Advertising also utilizes fine print to more effectively sell products. Countless times, I have caught a glimpse of a sign from afar claiming something like: “50% OFF ALL STORE MERCHANDISE*”. Naturally, I would wander over to the store to check out the relatively cheaper goods, but once I would walk up closer to the sign, I would notice the asterisk next to the “MERCHANDISE” and find its twin at the bottom of the poster, claiming: “After an original purchase of $50.00.” The advertisement was clearly misleading, with the intention of drawing in potential consumers under false pretenses.

Often, the fine print contains fairly important information, such as disclaimers about safety or notices that render all responsibility on you, if you were to get injured while using that company’s product. In these cases, companies use fine print for their own protection, which consequently leaves consumers vulnerable to the risks of these products.

We talk in class about how often we are purposefully mislead or fed false information in these books we are reading. These tricks of writing blind us from determining the truth in the stories to the point where we forgo trying to discover what is true. Fine print behaves the same way. An attractive-looking contract or advertisement will draw us into a deal that is, in reality, skewed favorably toward the dealmaker, yet we fail to see this truth, because it remains hidden in the fine print.

2 comments:

  1. I like your post and the first thing that came to my mind while reading this post was a variety of commercials. It seems as if at the end of every commercial there is a speeded up voice going over the different terms and conditions that accompany buying the product. Commercials for certain drugs are probably my favorite. Half way through the commercial you get to hear all the terrible possible reactions that can happen if not taken under the right circumstances or with other drugs. The narrator keeps his voice even with the rest of the commercial as he talks about the possibility of an "unsafe drop in blood pressure" or the possibility of chest pain, upset stomach, headache or even death. Its amazing that we have become so conditioned that these messages don't even really alarm us anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kurt's comment reminds of me of an ad for a drug promoting eyelash growth (it may be Latisse, but I am not entirely not sure).

    Possible side effects included permanent discoloration (skin and iris) as well as BLINDNESS.

    Hahaha, for long, dark lashes to meet our societal standard of beauty, it's no big deal!

    ReplyDelete