Sunday, December 2, 2012

Relevant Tweets


In a bout of severe procrastination, I came across an interesting conversation on Twitter:
Guy #1: You should be the only thing in control of your life.
Guy #2: I don’t like control.. Is it control if I choose not to control?
Once I got over my surprise that two high school lax bros were having such deep conversations on Twitter, I realized just how relevant these tweets are to our class. We've been struggling with that question all semester. If you choose to give in to the manipulation from others, are you still being manipulated? I think we've agreed, at least, that it’s all about awareness. As long as you know that manipulation is all around, you can choose what to follow and what to go against. That’s still a form of control.

1 comment:

  1. I think these tweets perfectly describe the driving point of all of our class discussions. As I wrote about last week, awareness is the key. It's easy to be passive and unaware of what is going on around you--you blend in with the rest of the world this way. The people who recognize that manipulative forces are acting on them, however, even if they choose to go along with it, distinguish themselves.

    ReplyDelete