Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Time to Play Writer AND Critic


             Disclaimer: This is an awesome movie. I was awfully upset today when class finished and we needed to wait until Thursday to find out the end.....or rather, the beginning.
            When I was seven I wanted to be a writer, so in the spirit of pursuing that dream, allow me to write the screenplay and speculate the rest of the movie. First off, Natalie is taking advantage of a poor man with a disability. She lost her husband and is just as spiteful to the killer as Leonard is to the man who killed his wife. Instead of taking matters into her own hands, she is manipulating Lenny to have him murder the man who killed her husband in order to get revenge and escape scotch-free. We already saw that Teddy was shot, but I think he was innocent in the sense that he did not kill Lenny's wife. Apart from this though, my creative juices are not flowing and I have no idea what else is in store for us on Thursday while we watch this movie.
            Now that it is clear I was not meant to write movies, let me try my hand at being a movie critic. I think the most unique aspect to this film is the fact that it is backwards. The opening scene had me nervous at first since it seemed that the movie was actually going to be in reverse. But once I was assured that there would be scenes running from present to the past, I was able to appreciate the "warning sign" that scene provided. In a very obvious manner the clip told the viewer that the movie was not going to follow the standard style of storytelling.
            After seeing the "warning" and continuing to watch the movie, I saw that even though the film was backwards, it provided more suspense than a regular movie. This surprised me and I found myself trying to determine the cause after seeing the effect and thinking more than I would if it showed the past first. Slowly, I was trying to piece together the puzzle as each individual portion of evidence was presented.      
            The film had a unique style and also had memorable quotes. When Natalie told Lenny there was no point for him to murder the killer because he would not remember he said, "The world doesn't just disappear when you close your eyes, does it?" Leonard accepted his condition and took it in his stride as he tried to live like us in the world. I think it also shows that he understands life will go on even if he chooses not to, which leaves him in limbo because he is trying to keep up with it but is forced to be trapped in the past by his condition.
            There you have it, my short-lived career as a screenplay writer and movie critique neatly packed into 466 words.

No comments:

Post a Comment