Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Why Have I Never Heard Of This Movie?


While talking to my friend on the phone, I told him that my Comp Lit class was watching Momento this week. He said, “Oh my God! That’s my favorite movie!” I questioned him about the ending. He replied that he did not understand the movie, and therefore could not explain it. How could a movie, that he hadn’t understood, be his favorite movie? This question troubled me because I am typically a fan of simple, romantic comedies featuring actors such as Ashton Kutcher or Ryan Gosling, so I didn’t expect to have a strong reaction to such a complex film, as my friend did.

I was completely engrossed in the movie. Momento is suspenseful, interesting, and confusing. By having what the viewer thinks is the end be the beginning, it implants the thought into the viewers’ minds that no matter what happens throughout the movie, you are comfortable in your knowledge of the ending. Therefore, you should not be too anxious while watching it, because you know the conclusion. However, I think that the “tease” of the outcome is more suspenseful than if the story were to play out in a linear fashion. I questioned the characters’ actions because I was trying desperately to comprehend how the film would play out in the end. I noticed that all the scenes in black and white were in sequential order, whereas the scenes in color were flashbacks. I think the director made the decision in order to highlight the dysfunction of Leonard’s brain. Due to this, the viewer is able to identify with Leonard’s confusion. 

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't believe I never heard of the movie before either! The fact that the movie goes from end to the beginning did not take away from the suspense of the movie, which I found interesting. Instead, with every piece of information I was given, I kept trying to determine the starting point. For example, when Lenny shot Teddy I was sure he was the man. As more information came, I began to wonder if he was a man Natalie wanted dead. I then began to question Natalie the more and more I learned about her.

    ReplyDelete