Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Grizzly Man and the bear "problem" in New Jersey

            I’ll be honest, right after I watched the short video snippet that we were assigned to watch, I was very unsure of how I could formulate a blog post. I decided to do a bit of Google and Wikipedia searching to learn a little bit more. I found out that there is quite a bit of controversy surrounding Timothy Treadwell, and the documentary that Werner Herzog created about him. Whenever a filmmaker decides to try to capture someone’s life through film, there will inevitably be some bias. I feel almost prepared to be manipulated by Herzog in Grizzly Man, especially due to the influence that Treadwell’s friend had on the film’s creation. It then came to me that there is a vaguely similar situation regarding manipulation and wildlife in my home state of New Jersey.

            Although not quite the wilds of Alaska, New Jersey has a thriving black bear population. I have had the pleasure of encountering these beautiful and peaceful creatures several times on the woodlands trails of northern New Jersey, so naturally I was interested when I heard that there was a bear hunt controversy going on so close to home. I found out that the anti-hunt and pro-hunt groups are engaged in a bitter war full of deception and manipulation. Some people even claim that the pro-hunt faction has transported bears from their natural habitat to the suburbs, in order to spread fear and gain support for the hunt. My personal views on the hunt are probably evident in my writing, so I guess I am manipulating anyone who reads this…           

No comments:

Post a Comment