Monday, March 31, 2014

Tastier Confections To Be Had

Throughout Foe, I have admired Susan Barton's persistence in ensuring that her story, the story she wants to be told be Foe, is indeed told. My understanding shifted slightly in Part 3, as did Susan Barton's attitude towards Foe. When referring to meeting up with Foe again, she writes "all the joy I had felt in finding my way to Foe fled me. I sat heavy-limbed" (117). Foe encourages her over and over to explain Bahia, for he is telling her tale his way, not hers. I recognized this theme from earlier in the novel, when Susan was so resistant to assimilate and learn Cruso's ways on the island. I was better able to understand Susan's opposition to explaining Bahia to Foe, for she refers to silence of Bahia in her narrative as "my own silence" for it is "chosen" and purposeful" (122). Once again, the repetition of choice and having one's own voice be heard stood out to me. I admire Susan's aspiration and dedication to being a "free woman who asserts her freedom by telling her story according to her own desire" (131), yet I was very conflicted by her rigidness and somewhat selfish behaviors. Coetzee carefully juxtaposed the idea of "choice" and "freedom of speech" with Friday's inability to speak and ultimate silence throughout the book. I was even more frustrated with Susan in Part 4, due to her inability to believe in Friday. It seems as though she quickly gave up on him and that was very disappointing to me.

Like my fellow classmates, I am very confused by Part 4 of Foe. I am excited to discuss this further in class.  



No comments:

Post a Comment