Thursday, September 17, 2009

"All of the true things I am about to tell you are shameless lies." I know that that's not a thesis, but in all honesty I'm not trying to prove anything. I assume that I'm probably the last person posting before tomorrow, I figured that I'd just talk about bokononism. This is a blog after all...
The false religion of bokonon seems entirely real to me. It gives life meaning where it lacks some, just like almost every other religion. The definition of religion (off google) is "a strong belief in a supernatural power or powers that control human destiny." Bokononism is also perfect for our literature class because it's based completely off lies. If people just keep making up lies, they won't have to see the world for what it really is. This is how bokononism gives people hope. I like the idea of foma, a harmless untruth, particularly the fact that it's never called a lie.
It'd be pretty interesting to see what the world would be like if bokonon was a major religion. Deceit can be a powerful tool if used correctly.

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the idea of foma is interesting; however, I feel like if it were to actually exist people would find it justified because it's an "untruth" and not a lie. What starts in chaos ends in chaos and if you start with a lie, there's already a big problem. That's why politicians suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, how is the religion of Bokononism supernatural (acc. to your google def.)? It was created by a man, about men, for men, and all of it's lies. I'd agree that it might control human destiny, but I think you have an interesting opportunity to play with any common definition of religion with regard to Vonnegut might be suggesting...

    (Be careful: Bokonon is the man, Bokononism is the religion.)

    ReplyDelete