Wednesday, September 16, 2009

"That's the thing about growing up; we don't know what to believe"

Who knew that a book full of lies could keep readers interested? Apparently Kurt Vonnegut did. Since I've read one other novel by Vonnegut, I expected Cat's Cradle to have a similar, unfamiliar writing style. What I didn't expect, though, was a novel full of lies. Despite the disclaimer at the beginning of the book that blatantly states none of it is true, I found myself reverting to my old ways of reading; I believed everything to be true, and still can't figure out which is the lie.

Looking back, it's hard to imagine that I believed a book of lies. What I find amazing, however, is that Vonnegut managed to keep me interested throughout the entire novel. I never once thought,"Dear God, can I just skip this part, and be done with the book?" It's because of this that Vonnegut has become a favorite author of mine. He makes his readers think by presenting them with the unknown. The religion of Bokononism is a perfect example. By exposing me to Bokononism, Vonnegut made me think about my own religion, and what exactly it is that I believe in. Again, I couldn't decide what was truth, and what was a lie. That's the beauty of Bokononism. It's all a lie, but at least it gives people something to have faith in. Even though Bokononists know their faith is based on lies and only lies, they still follow it. We all experience lies in some way. Lies can change lives. Why not have faith in them? They seem to be the only consistent thing in this world.

Thanks to Kurt Vonnegut and Cat's Cradle, I can't help but wonder how many things that I've been taught throughout my life are actual lies. That's the beauty of being a kid. You believe everything you're told. I think it's about time people start questioning the norms, and forging their own opinions and beliefs. Whether it's believing in a world of lies, or simply going against the "socially accepted" beliefs, people need to think for themselves for a change. Vonnegut did it; Felix Hoenikker did also. Without their questioning of accepted truths, the world would be a different place both in reality and the fictional world.

1 comment:

  1. So we're back to the idea that 'fiction' is itself a kind of truth... it exists as an accurate form (for lack of a better description) of storytelling. And, as a result, it has forced you to reflect on your own life. I definitely agree, then, that Vonnegut has created a text to keep readers infinitely interested. And it's important indeed not to follow blindly all the things you are told. Now is the time to question, challenge, and question again!

    ReplyDelete