Wednesday, September 16, 2009

In approach to Cat's Cradle, the reader goes in to the book knowing that the subject is based on seeking truth and lies. In class discussion, we are vigorously searching for what is "true" in the book and trying to dissect every phrase of every word, constantly questioning whether or not we are being lied to. Yet, in every other piece of literature I have read before this class, it never once occurred to me that everything I had been reading was a lie. Cat's Cradle is just stating the obvious; our society is full of harmless lies that we buy into everyday.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing. If you think about it, a majority of leisure time in our society is spent dwelling on harmless lies. When you watch a TV show, when you read a novel, when you watch a movie - often times, they are completely fiction. Yet it never bothers us that so much of our entertainment lies in lies (I didn't even do that on purpose.)

I remember reading the statement at the beginning of this book, "Nothing in this book is true," and feeling a sense of betrayal. What the hell do you mean nothing is true? Then I glanced over at my Harry Potter collection of books and thinking to myself, "It can't be...," and at the same time, looking to the TV where The Lion King was playing and continued to think, "Say it ain't so...." It was only when I had it laid out before me for my eyes to read that it registered in my head that daily, I surround myself with lies. It took me about 15 seconds to get over the shock and slight disgust I felt in myself, and quickly accepted this new found revelation.

Kurt Vonnegut isn't trying to make us feel bad for falling into these lies. In my opinion, he is just pointing out the way our society works. Even past the sources of entertainment, we find little lies everywhere in our world. It would be naive to deny the fact that there are lies within religion, media, and politics. Its more or less what our society thrives on.

I'm not here to say whether this is a good or bad thing. These harmless lies are a part of my life, whether I choose embrace it or not. What matters is how I let these lies influence my life. Naturally, I don't want to be a mindless numb nut who believes everything she's told. However, I live in world where more than half of what is on the TV screen isn't the truth. I'm not going to start a protest in the street over it, because
A) that would be stupid
B) no one would protest TV with me, and
C) that's just the way it goes, and honestly... I like TV.
We just have to face the facts, and the fact is, its all a lie.
Weird, eh?

2 comments:

  1. I totally understand how you feel about it dawning on you that most books are lies, how it didn't really occur to you in that way. It was a bit of an epitome for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting post... am I to believe it? Is it itself just a big lie?

    While I agree that Vonnegut is satirizing the blanket of lies that we live under each day, would this also mean that we should not pay attention to the lies? I would have liked to have read more about how Vonnegut might deal with such an issue, or, at least, how you would connect Vonnegut's modern novel to the pop culture references you insert. Be careful not to lose sight of the main subject.

    ReplyDelete