Thursday, September 17, 2009

Hook Line and Sinker

It's hard for an author to catch someone's attention after just the first page, but Vonnegut had no problem reeling in mine. Even though I was already told that everything in the book is based on lies, or untruths, I still read the story as if it were true and didn't think to myself "I wonder what the possibilities of that being plausible are." For example, Newt's girlfriend was a 42 year old masquerading as a 23 year old. Logically, it's quite impossible for a middle aged woman to pass for someone barely out of her teens, but who cares? It sounded good.
What draws me to this book is the way Vonnegut installs these emotions and personalities into these people. Though their lives are exaggeratedly interesting, he gives them emotions that make them appear human and therefore make it easier to believe that they are real people. I like how he can maintain a balance of reality and falsehood and still pull everything together to make a story absolutely worth reading.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you that it is the way Vonnegut "installs" his characters that keep the reader engaged. But I'm not so sure we have to worry about any balance b/w "reality" and "falsehood" in this novel. I'd like to read more on what you think about this...

    ReplyDelete