Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Consuelo Wishes Me Happy Birthday

            Today is my birthday. Like anything, a birthday matters as much as you believe it does. In this case, I am not much of a believer. Maybe I stigmatized birthdays around sixth grade when I had the shitty, but presumably inevitable, epiphany that I am going to die? Why celebrate the increments on my march to the abyss? Eventually, I triumphed over middle school. I cultivated the opinion that every birthday is a choice between celebrating life and dreading death; and I strove to commit to the former.
            I was asked yesterday which birthday was my favorite. Eager to dance through my memory bank, I looked in, but was surprised to find no record of past November sixths. Perhaps my mixed perceptions of birthdays created an ambivalence onto which no memories could latch? Whatever the cause, I found myself lacking history in a prominent life category. I, putatively the best scholar of my life, realized how little I knew of my story. I pondered: “Any story I tell about myself must be unfounded.”
            I believe that people can control their emotions by creating an understanding of their given situation which fulfills their needs. I convince myself of stories of who I am in order to be happy. However, as stated before, the veracity of these stories must be dubious. Essentially, I benefit from creating an altered image of myself. Therein, I found a connection between myself and Consuelo, and through such, an understanding.

            Consuelo does not change her identity by manifesting the altered image of herself that is Aura. She merely improves her emotional state by pumping vitality into a “story” of herself that fulfills her needs. Primarily, Consuelo needs to be loved by the general, so she conjures and deploys youth and allure in order to attract Fillipe. As Aura is not Consuelo, who I say I am is not me, yet these stories do not require accuracy to be powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment